- Design a handheld, battery-operated scanner that is capable of handling a variety of electronics modules options.
- Must be able to scan barcodes and read RFID tags.
- Must be able to transmit data via IR.
- Must be inexpensive at large production volumes.
- Coordination of mechanical engineering activities with remotely located program manager, electrical engineer, and manufacturing facility.
- Nimble design approach to accommodate business-driven changes, technical requirements throughout the evolution of the program.
- Accommodated both co-existing and/or mutually exclusive electronics modules by incorporating multiple mounting mechanisms into the housing design.
- Maintained a low weight and small size in a low power consumption device to maintain ease of use and portability.
Scan Technology Management:
- Designed parts that were both optically and radio frequency transparent.
- Device design allows for on-the-fly reconfiguration to either barcode scanning or RFID reading during the manufacturing process.
Design for High-Volume Production:
- Optimized final cost through a combination of both injection molded plastic parts and sheet metal stamping in the device.
- Plastics components designed for economical multi-cavity injection molding.