To design a miniature telescope that:
- Is rugged yet low mass.
- Is manufactured in large volumes.
- Is accepted by the target population.
- Damped low friction focus.
- Shared components 4X and 6X mag.
- Parallax compensation.
- Sealed against dust intrusion.
- Accepts filter and diopter accessories.
Materials/Process Selection Criteria:
- Injection molded gear mechanisms.
- Injection molded enclosure and optical housings.
Engineering Tools and Prototype Fabrication:
- 3-D files for international design review.
- Mass properties for weight management.
- 3-D files for large scale prototyping.
- Specify prototype and production suppliers.
- Establish geometric tolerances for manufacturing process.